Axis Gallery is an artist-run space located at 625 S Street in Sacramento housed in the Verge Center for the Arts Building. The gallery is 1800 square feet divided into a main gallery space and an East Room member’s gallery, which includes a flat file. This cooperative has been in operation for over 35 years building a reputation for exhibiting challenging contemporary work in all media. Members are emerging and established artists who show regionally, nationally, and internationally. The Gallery provides artists living in the Sacramento region with an opportunity to be a part of an alternative exhibition space. By creating an environment that functions outside the usual commercial sphere, members are free to explore, create, and develop works that are not contingent upon sales. We are dedicated to the highest standards of excellence in our selection and presentation of works of art. The artist members are equal partners and support the gallery through sales of artwork, contribution of labor and monthly dues.
- Every 18 months – 2 years, members will have an opportunity to have a solo show or curate a show in the Main Gallery.
- Every 18 months – 2 years, members will have an opportunity to have a solo show or curate a show in the East Gallery.
- Members have opportunities to network with each other and the broader Sacramento art community.
- Opportunities may be available to exhibit with Axis members at other venues.
- Members have equal votes in gallery operations.
- Marketing and publicity for each show is handled by the gallery. All members are featured on the gallery website (axisgallery.org).
- Members have use of the flat files to store and sell artworks.
- Members have access to our e-commerce platform.
- Pay monthly dues.
- Sit the gallery approximately 12 times a year.
- Commit to at least a one-year membership.
- Attend monthly meetings.
- Contribute to gallery operations via committee membership.
- A letter of interest including an artist’s or curator’s statement that states what the applicant would contribute to the gallery.
- A CV or Resume of art-related professional activities.
- A portfolio of 10-15 artworks and/or 5 curated project samples.
- A list of works including title, medium, dimensions, year.
- Optional link to artist’s website.
- Click HERE to submit your application.
New member applications will be open from August 16th – August 30th, 2021 at 11:59 pm PST. Announcement of selected members will be made the week of the Sept 20th.
Are you interested in becoming a member of Axis Gallery?
We are holding two mixer/info sessions for Sacramento region artists/curators who would like to find out more about the benefits of becoming Professional Members at Axis Gallery and the application process.
- August 11, 2021 7pm
Axis Gallery, 625 S St, Sacramento, CA
- August 14, 2021 4pm on Zoom
Join us for one of these casual meetings to find out about AXIS gallery. Come to the session that suits you! Either on site at Axis Gallery or on Zoom!
At this meeting, you will get a chance to chat with current AXIS members, find out more about the inner workings of our organization, as well as steps you can take to become a member.
We encourage diversity, experimentation and people who will add their distinctiveness to our own. We look forward to seeing you there.
- How AXIS works
- Joining AXIS
- What membership entails
- Benefits of membership
- Other members and what they do
- Refreshments (on site meeting)
- Casual conversation with members
It helps us to know who to expect at each of the two meetings. RSVP here